I’ve always dreamed of visiting the Maldives. It just appears to be the most relaxing place on earth. While visiting a favorite site of mine, I couldn’t help but notice the breathtaking photos of the islands, and today Dolna, the EIC of SILKsofine, is here to share her trip with you. I hope you enjoy!
Hello, it’s Dolna from SILKsofine.com, nice to meet you! I am glad to hop over and share my experiences about one of my very favourite holiday destinations: the Maldives.
For me the Maldives is like heaven on earth, the only place where I actually went back with my family in the last four years in a row. The whitest sand, the turquoise water, the friendly people are the reason why we keep going back again and again.
Our favourite time to go to the Indian ocean is at December/January. The temperature is ideal (for us at least), around 30 °C, and there is no rain – when there is any, then it is a very short shower that disappears in a blink of an eye. Especially January is a very calm time on the Indian ocean. It’s perfect for a very relaxed vacation, and that is kind of the keyword here: do not expect much excitement on the Maldives.
Stay there if you wish for rejuvenation through sunbathing, surfing (they do serious surf contests there!), relaxing spa experiments or snorkelling (I have never seen such a magical underwater-life anywhere). They offer you all the water-sport possibilities, you can go for big game fishing and of course nothing beats a romantic sand bench dinner. To get to know the culture a bit, go to the capital, Male – did you know that you can go around the whole city/island with a scooter in 20 minutes (I measured myself.)?
A lot of people think of the Maldives as a typical honeymoon destination, but in my experience everyone can have the best time there, no matter if you are a couple or a family. There are many resorts to choose from, and surely there is a fitting one for everyone.
You can read in details about Maldivian islands I visited and can truly recommend on SILKsofine.com: Kuda Huraa, Landaa Giraavaru, Huvafen Fushi, Reethi Rah. x
Five interesting facts:
- 99% of the Maldives is water. Around 200 inhabited islands and 87 resort-islands are the rest 1%, divided between 26 major atolls. There is never an exact information about the number of islands cause their existence is very much affected by the global warming.
- The lowest country in the world, the average ground level is 1,5 meters. The lowest point is literally: Indian Ocean 0 meter. (Global warming a very serious issue here. Once I was talking to a local who predicted that if it continues as it is now, then in 100 years most likely all the islands will disappear)
- Alcohol is forbidden outside the resorts.
- The smallest muslim nation in the entire world.
- A lot of resort-islands add +1 hour to their local time (GMT +4), as they explain “in order to allow their guests to enjoy the sunshine longer”.